Monday, May 19, 2008

Terra Cotta Warriors


I've been extremely fascinated with the history and origin of the "Terra Cotta Warriors" since seeing a picture of them in my history book in high school so many years ago. It's amazing- these terra cotta warriors were created around 259 B.C. in China, commissioned by Emperor Qin, (who also began contruction of the first Great Wall) to protect his tomb and to protect him in the afterlife. These mindblowing figures, over 7,000 of them, were discovered by Chinese farmers in 1974. Each one is supposed to have a unique facial expression as well.

They are now being exhibited at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, from May 18-Oct 12.

This is seriously a once in a lifetime event, and I am definitely going to make my visit soon.

1 comment:

Mama Mia said...

I didn't get to go to Xian when I went on my China trip this winter. I really wanna go back and check out the terra cotta warriors for sure. In the meantime, the Bowers museum will do...